Permanent - Merchant Banking - London, United Kingdom
Alvarium is a global multi-family office, co-investment partner and merchant banking boutique providing tailored solutions for families, foundations and institutions across the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific. The firm specialises in being the trusted adviser to clients with complex needs, providing institutional quality advice, investment and risk management using the full spectrum of public and private markets. Alvarium also offers direct co-investment opportunities from specialist managers focusing on alternatives and real assets to highly sought-after managers, companies and opportunities in the innovation economy.
Alvarium has over 220 employees and 28 Partners advising on circa $22 billion of assets across four service lines — investment advisory, co-investments, merchant banking and family office services.
Alvarium has recently announced plans to merge with a US investment and wealth advisor firm in early 2022. The combined business, Alvarium Tiedemann Holdings (AlTi) is expected to be valued at $1.4 billion, to have combined assets under management of over $50 billion and be listed on Nasdaq and will have access to substantial capital for further investments. The focus will remain on high net-worth individuals across North America, Europe and Asia Pacific with a focus on impact or values-aligned investing.
Alvarium is looking for an Associate to join the Merchant Banking division. The successful candidate will take responsibility for supporting the deal team on each deal, providing analytical and execution support as well as some administrative reporting around each deal. An associate is also expected to participate in management and investor meetings on an ad hoc basis. As an Associate you will be responsible for leading on some smaller projects while also providing support to MD and Director led projects as required.
The candidate would work across M&A, private placement and (to a lesser extent) co-investment deals on an ongoing basis and would be expected to apply their skillset to each type of mandate. The Merchant Banking division is a fast-paced environment with several projects often running in parallel and to strict deadlines, thus this role requires someone who is a willing and able multi-tasker. The successful candidate will also be a self-starter who leads by example – for the right candidate, this role has significant evolutionary potential.
• Assist the team on preparation of financial models, pitch decks, presentations and teasers
• Carry out analytical work on companies/industries as required for any pitch, or on ad hoc basis
• Work with other associates and MDs to support them in the project process as required, likely across a number of projects at the same time
• Work with compliance team to manage approvals of documentation
• Maintain Projects database for own deals and ensure it is always up to date
• Assist the team in writing up meeting notes, pre and post meeting as required
• Manage status reports of investor outreach on each deal
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Excellent academic credentials with a good undergraduate degree (min 2.1). A degree with a finance / economics focus would be preferable
• Minimum 1-2 years’ experience at a financial institution (bank, PE, VC)
• Knowledge of market leading applications (inc Cap IQ, Pitchbook)
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (especially advanced Excel, Power Point)
• Intellectual curiosity to evaluate and drive change and an appetite for continuous improvement
• Ability to communicate effectively cross-functionally with people at all levels of seniority
• Excellent numeracy and statistical skills
• Ability to work independently and under pressure
• Must be highly organised and able to work to tight deadlines
• Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of professionalism / initiative
• Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written communication) in English. Another European language would be an advantage